Saturday, August 27, 2011

That's What I'm Talking About!!

The "BATTING 1000" book, due out in a few weeks!  
Super stoked today.  I met a lady in my area that I'm going to met up with (hopefully regularly!) and practice some BAT!  Oh, you don't know what BAT is?  No, it's not the scary creature associated with Halloween...why would I write about that on my forum?!  It has something to do with dogs, of course.

"In a nutshell, BAT is a dog-friendly application of ‘functional analysis’ that gives the dogs a chance to learn to control their own comfort level through peaceful means. It’s very empowering to your dog, in a good way."  BAT was founded by Grisha Stewart and is a very progressive method of training that can be used to raise a puppy (by letting them know they have a choice), rehabilitate reactive, fearful or aggressive dogs and so much more!   I stumbled across BAT several months ago and was amazed by how simple it was and LOVED the fact that it didn't rely on you having to have food on you all the time.  Don't get me wrong - I wear my little treat pouch everywhere, but knowing that there is a way to use environmental rewards to rehab reactive dogs is so empowering!

Of course, like every other method of training - and maybe even more - you need to be able to really be in tune  with your dog and observant to the tiny cues they give off to be the most effective. 


Checkout Grisha's site devoted to this training method!!
http://functionalrewards.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment