Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Shower Training

I like to preach to my students in class (and to my husband) that the easiest way to train your dogs is to make it part of your everyday routine.  You don't need to dedicate 15-20 minutes non-stop for training (although I encourage people to do this if they want to and can - and if their dog(s) can actually train for that long).  I would much rather work my dogs in 1-2 minutes bursts that fit into my schedule.  Of course I can't find it now, but Suzanne Clothier had a wonderful short article where she asked people the simple question, "Got a minute?" Her point was that people do, in fact, have a minute (60 seconds) to spend with their dog(s) to do these short, fun training sessions.  I could go on forever about how much I love Suzanne, but for now...let's move along, shall we?

Tonight, it was just me and the dogs (Aaron was working late)...I got them all taken care of with their respective exercising, training, feeding, more training (Oscar!) and more indoor exercising (Oscar!).  After all that was done, it was time for me to clean up from a long day of work, so I popped in the shower.  Within 2 minutes, I hear Oscar squeaking his big 'ol cow toy...which actually sounds like a HEEE-HAW donkey...and whatta know, here he comes walking into the bathroom with it in his mouth, accompanied by a fiercely wagging tail.

So, I figured, what the heck...let's play a little game of tuggy while I'm in the shower.  Oscar, of course, loved this and we got in a quick 90 second training session consisting of drop, sit, down, touch and up (where he pops his front feet up on the tub).  BAMMO!  Shower training!

No comments:

Post a Comment