Monday, October 17, 2011

Finished Book: "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson

Animals in Translation 
It's been a while since I actually finished reading a dog-related book and I have to say that it feels good to finally have another one done.

The weekend wasn't overly busy which afforded me the time to finished Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson's wonderful book, Animals in Translation.  What a unique, lovely read about animal behavior (and not just dogs, but cattle, horses, cats and birds!).

A brief overview of the book:
Temple Grandin is a high-functioning autistic with a doctorate degree who's life work revolves around her ability to see and read animals.  Her unique perspective stems from the fact that autistic humans are similar to animals in that they both see the world in pictures, not language.

I found the book to be a very delightful read and found myself on countless occasions saying, "Wow.  That totally makes sense!  She really gets it!"  Temple's writing style is often times witty and straight to the point, which I can sincerely appreciate...she writes the way she sees the world, in pictures, with straight-to-the-point sentences.

This is one of those rare books that I would actually recommend to any one of my friends, not just those who own dogs, cats, etc.  The information Temple puts onto the pages crosses the board for all people to read, enjoy and learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment