Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Focus & Control; Class 8 (Graduation!)

Great accomplishment, Horrible picture
We did it!! Woot-woot!!  I feel  like busting out my old Jock Jams CD from middle school to celebrate!

Oscar and I completed our last class of Focus and Control last night and, boy-oh-boy, did that little man make me proud.  He has come such a long way since our first class and he, once again, proved to me that he is capable of being a fantastic doggy.

Our last class consisted of more box work and he did great.  We were next to Nala (I think that's her name, right Cheri?) a sweet, brown Aussie and they did fabulous next to each other.  A couple times during our box work, Oscar actually offered some interest seeking behaviors (air sniffs with ears back and low, slow tail wags).  I just stood back and watched him offer these as I definitely did not want to correct polite behavior.  He auto-checked back in with me and off we went having more fun.  Who knew a box could be so much fun?! 

The next activity we did was a game I knew quite well...the infamous Car Crash Game.  I won't spoil the fun for those of you who don't know what it is, but those that do (Eric!)...Oscar did awesome!  Cheri did a fantastic job setting up the dogs in teams to minimize any reactivity...so, Oscar, of course got to be with all the ladies and did fabulous.  He wasn't giving me 100% attention, but I didn't want it.  I wanted him to check out the environment as we went through the exercise and I marked and rewarded auto check-ins and any nice LAT behaviors.

Class ended with a lovely (and silly, which I LOVE!) graduation.  The training assistant put on that one song that is synonymous with the graduation commencement ceremonies...and each dog and handler team got called up to receive their diploma!  Oscar did great and got a WOOT-WOOT! from some of his classmates. 

I cannot say enough how proud I am of my little white fluffy butt.  8 weeks ago he was the class terror and last night at class he didn't even make a peep and was comfortable...laying on his mat, wagging his tail and had nice soft eyes.  Ooooooooooh, how I love to see those soft eyes.

Who knows what is going to be next on our training agenda...CGC class?  Rally?  For now, Oscar and I will sit back, relax through the holidays and enjoy all we have accomplished together.

No comments:

Post a Comment