Monday, July 9, 2012

Finished DVD: "Different Breeds Have Different Needs" by Trish King

This review has been a long time coming!  I've been busy, I swear, and my lack of blog entries should be excused.  ((I know, I know, none of you have probably noticed or really care that I haven't posted about a finished book or DVD in several months))

It is no secret to those close to me that I love Trish King.  I love her rationale for her training methods, love what she has done professionally and could listen to her talk for days on end about dogs.  In my opinion, she has the beautiful mix of brains, experience and humor that I strive for in my dog-related profession.  I have had the pleasure of speaking with her on the phone once when I was in my "What-the-hell-is-wrong-with-Oscar" phase and it was wonderful. She had empathy mixed with a sense of humor and what I appreciated the most was that she was realistic in her expectations. She didn't sugar coat anything, but said everything with her sound experience.

In her recorded seminar DVD, "Different Breeds Have Different Needs," I found myself nodding almost non-stop as she gave her overview of different breed characteristics in a handful of selected groupings (Bully, Herding, Guard and Terriers were the main focus).  In my limited experience, her findings seemed to be spot on and very informative, if not comforting.  I loved watching her little video snippets shown throughout the seminar showing specific breed behaviors, especially with the herding dogs for obvious reasons.

The main message I took out of watching this wonderful DVD was simple.  Dogs are who they are and are, and are often times predisposed to certain behaviors because of their breed.  Plain and simple, right?!  Then why do so many people (including myself!) get upset or frustrated when our beloved furry family members act the way they are supposed to?  Part of moving forward is accepting your dog for who they are hardwired to be and channeling that knowledge in the right direction!

Thank you, Trish King, and I'll have another!

On deck: "Rehabilitation in Aggression Cases" DVD by Trish King

No comments:

Post a Comment