Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Paying it Forward

God bless people who ask for help.  One of my wonderful co-workers came and talked to me this morning about his frustration with his 1.5 y/o black lab female.  Knowing that I am gonzo about dogs, he came to me in (almost) desperation this morning asking for help.  

While certain words such as "alpha" came out of his mouth, I was very warm and sympathetic in my involvement with the conversation.  I helped him realize that his dog was not being "alpha" by pulling on lead...she just wanted to get from point A to point B asap!  Plain and simple.  With bright, eager eyes and a big smile, he agreed.  

I shared with him a few ideas on how to reframe what a walk meant for both him and his pup and gave him a top-level, step-by-step way to do it.  This is why I love working with people and their dogs.  Paying forward the knowledge and tools that I have learned about to virgin eyes and ears knowing that some simple help can make an enormous difference in something as simple as a walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment